To be responsible for the planning and day-to-day provision and supervision of activity programmes for residents; ensuring that they do not become institutionalised by living in the care situation. To work with all departments, families and other carers, using a whole home approach, to ensure that residents maintain and use their skills and develop new interests.
- To work closely with all departments, families and other carers to provide a therapeutic environment by offering residents the choice of varied activity programmes that meet their individual needs.
- To undertake a baseline assessment of each resident on their admission to the service concerning previous work history and leisure interests. This assessment will determine:
- To review the baseline assessment at least monthly.
- To make appropriate notes and summaries in the residents Care Plan Record.
- To work closely with the named nurse/key worker to determine the types of activities that are appropriate for each resident, and if relevant to support the development of a Nursing Care Plan.
- To develop a Weekly Programme of Activities and, after approval from the Care-Coordinator/Home Manager, to display this in the Lounge areas. The programme will be flexible and varied to prevent institutionalisation.
- The objective of the Activities Programme will be determined by the individual requirements of each resident, but should be varied sufficiently to incorporate the following areas: –
- Occupational Therapy, e.g. Home based domestic activities, assisting tidying, cleaning room, setting tables etc.
- Social Activities, e.g. Concerts, parties, bingo, outings and other activities that encourage social interaction.
- Creative Therapy, e.g. crafts, sewing, painting, baking, gardening etc.
- Daily Living Activities, e.g. Self-care, make up, hairdressing etc.
- Reality Orientation, e.g. signs and clues within the home environment, current affairs and news discussions, communication from staff etc.
- Keep Fit Activities, e.g. musical movement, seated physical activity etc.
- Small Group Activities, e.g. board games, quizzes etc.
- Leisure and Free Time, e.g. ensuring that residents have ample opportunity for their own free time.
- To support the Home Manager to invite and encourage outside voluntary and other agencies to visit: – e.g. Churches, Choirs, Students etc.
- To support all care staff to participate in structured activities.
- To raise funds and support fund raising activities to provide additional amenities for service users.
- To develop a productive relationship with the local dementia action alliance, e.g. offering a venue for memory cafes, discussions and dementia friendly events
- To support the Home Manager to arrange special social events within the home and attend as and when required.
- To undertake any training necessary for the completion of your duties.
- To attend staff and other meetings as appropriate.
- To undertake any other duties as and when required.
- To abide by all company Policies and Procedures in accordance with the Staff Handbook and Policy and Procedure File.
- Genuine interest in working within a caring environment
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Team Player
- Willingness to participate in vocational training programmes
- Satisfactory DBS check
- Previous experience of developing and delivering activity programmes for residents
- Experience of using assessment tools
- Experience of gathering life history information from residents
- Experience of using occupation and/or creative therapies with residents
- Relevant Vocational Qualification (achieved or working towards)
- Full, clean driving licence